2013 Official Cocktail Competition: Create Your Signature Rickey
Tales of the Cocktail® invites mixologists from around the world to submit their own Rickey recipe for the chance to be named the official cocktail of this summer’s spirited festivities.
NEW ORLEANS—April 3, 2013— For nine years now Tales of the Cocktail® has been challenging the international cocktail community to come up with an official cocktail for each summer’s festivities. In 2013, Tales of the Cocktail® is challenging these bartenders and mixologists once again, this time to reinterpret the official cocktail of Washington, D.C.¾The Rickey. From now until April 24, cocktail professionals are encouraged to submit their original takes on this classic drink for the chance to win $1,250 and the opportunity to have their creation recognized as the Official Cocktail of the 11th Annual Tales of the Cocktail®.
“Every Tales of the Cocktail has a flavor all its own. This year that flavor is The Rickey,” said Ann Tuennerman, Founder of Tales of the Cocktail®. “I can’t wait to sample everyone’s imaginative takes on such a storied drink.”
The Rickey dates back to the late 1800’s when George A. Williamson, a bartender at Shoomaker’s bar in Washington, D.C., would combine a base spirit with half a lime and sparkling mineral water for a Democratic lobbyist named Colonel Joseph Kyle Rickey. To encourage creativity in reinterpreting this classic drink, the guidelines for the competition are pretty loose. Any base spirit and any type of citrus is allowed, it just must be defined by three overarching characteristics:
- It must be tart
- It must have a carbonated element
- It must be refreshing
“What makes the Rickey such a great drink, besides being so refreshing, is that it’s so simple¾spirit, lime, soda. Toss the shell in and go. That means it’s not only easy to make but open to endless possibilities,” said Derek Brown, owner of the Columbia Room in Washington, D.C. “Bartenders have their work cut out for them in this contest. It takes skill to add to such a straightforward drink and yet retain its original character.”
Rules for the Tales of the Cocktail® Official Cocktail Competition:
- Competition is open to any bartender currently working in the bar, restaurant or spirits industry.
- Each participant shall use the official entry form online at: http://www.talesofthecocktail.com/new-orleans-2013/2013-official-drink-contest/
- All recipes shall be original creations.
- Recipes shall be expressed in ounces, drops, or dashes and scaled for a single serving.
- Your cocktail must utilize at least one of the sponsor spirit brands.
- Recipe must include a detailed description of the garnish.
- All ingredients utilized should be expected to be available to most bars or easily acquired/made.
- All ingredients should be available year-round, so nothing seasonal. And all ingredients should be obtainable — or should be able to be made from scratch — without undue difficulty or expense anywhere within the continental US.
- Cocktails made with inappropriate ingredients will be disqualified with determination of what constitutes an inappropriate ingredient up to the discretion of the staff of Tales of the Cocktail® and the judging committee.
- Cocktails will be judged on Originality, Use of product, Taste, and Presentation.
- You do not need to be present to compete or win.
- First prize-winner will receive $1,250 cash and be the “Official Cocktail” of Tales of the Cocktail® 2013
- Winning recipes will be featured with photography in the Mutineer Magazine and Mutineer online publication
- Winning recipe will be featured in the 2013 Tales of the Cocktail® E-book
Timeline for the Tales of the Cocktail® Official Cocktail Competition:
- Wednesday, April 24, 2013: Deadline to submit recipes
- Wednesday, May 15, 2013: Top ten finalists announced
- Wednesday, May 29, 2013: Winner and top three announced
About Tales of the Cocktail®
This summer the industry’s most influential bartenders and spirit lovers from around the globe will drink in every ounce of cocktail knowledge and culture at Tales of the Cocktail® 2013. The world’s premier cocktail festival returns to New Orleans with another non-stop schedule of educational seminars, tasting rooms, Spirited Dinners®, Spirited Awards®, competitions and more. We guarantee you won’t leave thirsty at the 11th Annual Tales of the Cocktail®, July 17-21, 2013. For more information about drinking it in with us this summer, visit TalesoftheCocktail.com.
About the New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society
The New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society (NOCCPS) is a non-profit organization committed to preserving the unique culture of cocktails and cuisine in New Orleans and beyond. Since it’s founding in 2006 the NOCCPS has supported members of the hospitality industry through programs like the Apprentice Aid Fund, providing financial assistance to former apprentices in times of medical need, the Cocktail Apprentice Scholarship Program and the Flo Woodward Memorial Scholarship as well as the production of events like Tales of the Cocktail®.